This Green Hälsa Smoothie with squash and greens is a great way to get on track after a weekend of traveling or overindulging. And it can help you stay on track during the holidays!
While I love a good smoothie, most of the time I choose to eat my food. Why blend it all up when you can enjoy the individual flavors of the berries, nuts, greens, and whatever else you are putting in there. I have an especially hard time putting a perfectly ripe avocado into a smoothie–I would rather have it on my toast, in my guacamole, or just straight up!
But that said, sometimes, there is nothing like a good smoothie. Whether I need a quick way to add greens and fiber to my day or, a reset after a weekend of indulging, or a reminder to stay on track during the holidays. Smoothies are also a great way to get greens, probiotics, and chia seeds into my family.
If your kids (and husband!) are like mine and don’t want a green colored smoothie you can easily add a handful of greens to a chocolate banana milkshake or a berry smoothie and they probably won’t even notice. Or, have them help you make the smoothie. They are more likely to try it, even if it’s just a sip.
Need some recipe ideas, check out my smoothie guide, wild blueberry and pear smoothie, and strawberry squash smoothie. Making a smoothie bowl is also fun, and my kids definitely love the added crunch factor in this one.
But for days when you need a tasty green smoothie, here is one of my go-to’s…
- 1 cup unsweetened or lightly sweetened vanilla almond milk**
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale
- ½ frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen, chopped mango or yellow summer squash**
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- *I usually use unsweetened almond milk and just add a date or extra fruit if I want it sweeter
- **the mango will make the smoothie a little sweeter and pairs well
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour into a glass. Garnish with colorful fruit. Enjoy!
Blackberries, sliced kiwi, pomegranate arils, fresh parsley