These chicken fajita tacos are a fun and tasty addition to your Taco Tuesday rotation! And with all those colors, you can bet they are pretty healthful too!
This month’s Recipe Redux challenge was to show our taco Tuesday creations. The hardest part for me was deciding which tacos to showcase! I’ve been doing the taco Tuesday theme night for a couple of years now and my kids just love it. We have several go-to tacos and I vary it week to week. Their favorites are grass-fed ground beef tacos, pork tenderloin tacos, fish tacos, and these chicken fajita tacos.
Veggie-Packed Chicken Tacos
I call these tacos chicken fajita tacos because, in my opinion, they are kind of a cross between fajitas and tacos. This recipe has evolved from the CooksAid chicken taco recipe to include more veggies. As with all taco recipes, one of the best parts is that you can customize the ingredients to what you like and what you have on hand.These veggie-packed chicken tacos are a tasty addition to your #tacoTuesday rotation!… Click To Tweet
With the exception of onions, my kids prefer their taco veggies raw. So I always have extra veggies that I cut and put out in little bowls for them to choose from. One of my kids puts these raw veggies in the taco, the other one leaves them all on the side (and not touching the taco!).
So if you have picky eaters, rest assured, it’s pretty easy to pick out the chicken from the veggies in this recipe.The “assemble-it-yourself” aspect of tacos is great for kids as they can make their own tacos just how they like them. (Actually, I think most adults love this aspect of it too!)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 white onion, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 zucchini, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon organic canola or avocado oil
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Juice of 1 lime
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas (make sure gluten-free if needed)
- Combine chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and zucchini. Toss well to coat.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and vegetable mixture, and sauté about 7-9 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Mix in spinach until just wilted. Drizzle with lime juice.
- Meanwhile in a small skillet coated with cooking spray, heat tortillas about 30 seconds on each side, recoating pan with spray between tortillas. (Alternatively, heat them all in the microwave wrapped in damp paper towels.)
- Arrange chicken mixture on tortillas and add toppings of choice.
Avocado slices (or guacamole)
Sliced red cabbage
Sour cream or cashew cream
INCLUDE FOR KIDS WHO PREFER RAW VEGGIES:
Raw bell pepper slices
Raw zucchini slices
Fresh baby spinach
I hope your family enjoys this fun chicken fajita taco as much as we do! And if you need some taco Tuesday inspiration, check out all the other fabulous ideas on The Recipe Redux!