There is much to love about pesto. For starters, its fresh, vibrant green color (and anything green is especially welcome right now in New England!) The way it instantly perks up almost any meal. It’s zippy garlicky kick. And of course, you knew it was coming, it’s amazing nutritional composition: Pesto is packed with vitamin-rich greens, heart-healthy nuts and olive oil, and immune-boosting raw garlic.
Ready in less than 5 minutes, pesto is simple to make and very adaptable. You can use a variety of greens: basil, kale, spinach, and parsley all work well. The same goes for nuts. While often made with pine nuts, I usually use walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts. As I always say: mix it up. I sometimes skip the Parmesan cheese, as I did here, but feel free to add it in—while delicious either way, there is no denying that Parmesan adds another level of flavor.
- 2 cups packed organic Italian leaf parsley
- 2-3 tablespoons pecans
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil (more if needed)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Add greens, garlic, and nuts to a food processor or blender and pulse until chopped.
- With processor running, drizzle in olive oil. Process until smooth. Add more greens or oil as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.