These mini breakfast frittatas are the perfect grab-and-go breakfast in the morning. What could be simpler than popping one of these into the microwave and then eating it on a mini whole wheat bagel?
Yes, these are a perfect grab-and-go breakfast food. Easy to make. Store. Grab & go. Of course, this all assumes your kids like eggs! My kids are not yet big egg eaters. They love my pancakes with extra eggs, french toast made with eggs, and just about any other item with eggs in it. But when it’s clear that the main ingredient is eggs, they are not so sure.
And my husband would love these, but I am lucky if I can hand off his to-go mug of tea to him as he races out the door in the mornings. (Ok, I admit, if I had a parchment-wrapped egg sandwich ready to go for him, he would be really happy!)
So as I’m doubting whether I should even bother making my ideal little frittatas filled with spinach and goat cheese, I realize that maybe I could entice my kids to try one if I put some Canadian bacon in there…and yes, leave out the spinach and goat cheese (just for now). Maybe…
I decided to make two batches. One with spinach and goat cheese and one with Canadian bacon and Monterey Jack cheese. The verdict?
My older son decided to give the Canadian bacon filled one a try….and liked it! My younger son smelled it and agreed it smelled good (baby steps!). I liked both, but definitely preferred the spinach and goat cheese one as that’s just my preference these days. Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to make a batch of each! (Or why not combine all the ingredients and make an “everything frittata.”)These mini frittatas are the perfect grab and go breakfast! Make ahead & customize! Click To Tweet
So, if you are looking for a high-protein, delicious breakfast food that you can make ahead, give these a try. Add a little turkey sausage or bacon if you think that will draw your kids in. You could even pack these in the lunch box – if your kids don’t mind eating them cold.
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup baby spinach, chopped AND/OR ½ cup diced, organic Canadian bacon
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, chopped (optional)
- 2 ounces goat cheese OR ⅓ cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a standard muffin tin with nonstick spray or line with muffin liners.*
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir in the spinach and scallions (if using).
- Portion the egg mixture into 6 muffin tins. Add Canadian bacon to each (if using). And then distribute the cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the frittatas are set in the middle.
- Use a mini spatula or plastic knife to remove frittatas. Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.