This flavorful pumpkin bread is made spelt flour and extra-virgin olive oil! It’s perfect for breakfast or as a snack, but could also be topped with some glaze for an irresistible dessert!
Don’t let the name of this recipe scare you from trying it out. Yes, it’s made with extra-virgin olive oil, but the taste is all pumpkin pie. You will love it. Your kids will love it. Trust me.
So why make it with olive oil when canola or coconut oil would probably work just as well? Because extra virgin olive oil is undeniably one of the healthiest oils out there and because of it’s strong flavor, it’s rare that it works well in a baking recipe. But thanks to the rich flavor of some of the other ingredients–pumpkin, cinnamon, and maple syrup–you can’t taste the olive oil!
Another fun twist on the classic pumpkin bread is to make it in a Bundt pan. I don’t know about you, but my lovely Bundt pan sure doesn’t get much use these days. I used to bake more cakes before I had kids, but these days I’m more focused on producing healthy baked goods. Fortunately, it finally dawned on me, that just because I’m not adding 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of sugar doesn’t mean I can’t use the Bundt pan! So from now on, it’s getting more use.
My kids absolutely loved this recipe, and I have a feeling that much like our mini pumpkin muffins, it will become a staple around here. Made with wholesome ingredients, it’s a sweet bread that you can feel good about serving for breakfast, snack or dessert. (On the dessert note, my husband pointed out, that it would probably be really good with a little glaze or frosting too. Ummm, yes, it probably would!)
- nonstick spray (I used coconut oil)
- 1 cup spelt flour (or use all-purpose gluten-free flour)
- ½ cup almond flour/meal
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- dash of cloves
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Grease a Bundt or bread pan with nonstick spray.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the spelt, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil, maple syrup, and pumpkin. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Use a spatula to transfer the batter to the Bundt or bread pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.