These dairy free carrot cake waffles are light and delicious. They are perfect for a special weekend breakfast or brunch. No waffle maker? No problem, the batter can also be used to make pancakes!
We eat a lot of pancakes and waffles at our house. The kids love them and I love how nourishing they are and how easy it is to customize the ingredients to your needs and liking. I used my flying pancakes recipe as the base of this recipe, and then added carrots, spices, and also made it dairy free.
These aromatic waffles will quickly fill your house with the smell of cinnamon and ginger. Made with wholesome ingredients such as sprouted spelt flour, carrots, eggs, and unsweetened almond milk, they will also fill you with nutrition. Here are just some of the nutrients these ingredients provide:
- The spelt flour provides fiber, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron.
- The carrots provide fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- The eggs provide protein, fat, vitamin D, vitamin B12, riboflavin, choline, and carotenoids.
- The unsweetened almond milk adds calcium, vitamin D, vitamin E, and vitamin B12.
You can freeze the leftovers in a resealable plastic bag and then reheat as needed. (We do this a lot, it makes eating homemade waffles on a school morning a cinch). But you could also just make a half batch, perfect for when you just need waffles for 2, and because you are dealing with a smaller quantity of all the ingredients and have fewer waffles to cook, it makes the whole process even simpler.
- 1½ cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups spelt flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup finely grated carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
- Nonstick spray (I used coconut oil)
- Topping suggestions:
- shredded unsweetened coconut, maple syrup, raspberry jam, whipped cream, coconut cream, sliced bananas, powdered sugar, pecans, walnuts
- Combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Heat waffle maker or pancake griddle.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Add almond milk mixture, eggs, coconut oil, and carrots. Stir to combine.
- Spray waffle iron. Ladle out waffles and cook according to manufacturer's directions, until golden and cooked through. Spray with nonstick spray between before each new waffle.
- Serve immediately with suggested toppings or transfer to a wire rack.