Arugula, egg, and hummus spread on toasted whole grain: a balanced lunch doesn’t get much easier than this!
Disclosure: I received free samples of Sabra Spreads mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Looking for a healthy and simple way to liven up your sandwich? Then you have to try the newest line of hummus spreads from Sabra. Thanks to a contest sponsored by the Recipe Redux I received samples of this new product in three different flavors: Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper, Honey Mustard, and Garlic Herb. All are vegan and gluten-free, making them suitable for a variety of diets. And with 75% less fat than mayonnaise, they are also a great way to cut back on calories!
While you could certainly add plain hummus to any sandwich in lieu of mayo, these new spreads from Sabra add a delicious, fresh flavor kick that really takes your sandwich up a notch. Not to mention, it’s hard to beat the convenience of a squeeze bottle!
What I also really love is the versatility of this spread. I mean it seriously goes with almost any sandwich!
Example: I was having an egg sandwich as a snack to tie me over before going to the grocery store to buy ingredients for my sandwich ideas. I decided to test it with some of the sea salt and pepper hummus spread. WOW! My simple arugula and egg sandwich topped with a little hummus spread was too good not to share!
Here are the key elements of this sandwich that combine to take it from a regular sandwich to a “foodie” sandwich:
- Arugula. I just love it. I grow it in a container on my patio from spring through fall so I can pinch off a few leaves whenever I want.
- Egg = great source of protein and other nutrients such as lutein, which may help protect against age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. I love the convenience of having eggs on hand and lucky for me I get local eggs in my farm share every week.
- Toast. Simply toasting the bread elevates the whole sandwich–whether eaten hot or a few hours later (as in this upgraded lunchbox sandwich).
- Good bread: such as organic whole wheat or local artisan bread.
- And, finally: The sea salt and cracked pepper hummus spread adds a delicious flavor and creaminess that really completes the sandwich.
In case you are wondering about the other sandwich ideas that didn’t get tested yet, here they are, perhaps you can try them out:
- Roasted veggies with the garlic Sabra hummus spread in a wrap
- Bacon, baby kale, tomato, and the honey-mustard Sabra spread on toasted whole wheat
- Roasted turkey, sprouts, and raw slivered beets with any of the spreads on artisan wheat sourdough
And, don’t forget to check out the many other creative and healthy ideas from fellow Redux bloggers at the bottom of this post!
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 slices whole wheat or artisan bread
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup arugula
- 2 tablespoons Sabra Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper hummus spread
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and carefully lower the egg into the water with a spoon. Simmer for 8 minutes for a slightly soft yolk and 10-12 minutes for a hard-boiled egg. Remove egg and rinse with cool water.
- Toast bread.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice egg. (Use an egg slicer if you have one.)
- Drizzle olive oil onto one slice of toasted bread. Add the arugula and egg slices and then squeeze on the hummus spread.
- Serve open-faced or top with the other slice of bread. Enjoy!