Sprouted Spelt Banana Bread
This sprouted spelt banana bread is equally suited for breakfast, snack time, fika, or as a gift to a friend. Nourishing and delicious, it's not as sweet as most banana bread, although the dark chocolate sure gives it a boost! Dairy-free and whole grain; be sure to use dairy free-chocolate if needed.
- 3 medium well-ripened bananas
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons avocado or grapeseed oil (you can use any oil)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plant-based milk (I used oat) (you can also use dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar (or use 1/4 cup maple syrup and reduce milk to 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sprouted spelt flour
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips make sure dairy-free if needed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 4x8 inch loaf pan with cooking spray or oil.
Peel bananas and add them to a large bowl. Mash with a fork.
Add everything except for the flour and chocolate chips to the mashed bananas. Beat with an electric mixer.
Slowly add the flour to the banana mixture, mixing on low speed just until combined.
Pour batter into loaf pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of unbaked bread, pushing in slightly with spoon or finger tops.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan.