These dairy-free, gluten-free banana bread mini muffins are a fun twist on classic banana bread and bake up in just a fraction of the time. They are perfect for breakfast or a mid-morning snack.
Banana Bread Mini Muffins
If you love banana bread then you will love these banana bread mini muffins! Best of all, they are so easy to make because you can just throw all the ingredients in a blender if you want.
A while back I posted a picture on Instagram of these banana bread mini muffins bursting with melted chocolate chips. They were a hit! And I’m excited to finally share the recipe with you.
These delightful little muffins are a spin-off from my much-loved Banana Bread. For the most part, it’s the same recipe, but I did make a few changes.
- I used maple syrup instead of sugar–but either will work fine.
- I also used non-dairy milk since so many people are looking for dairy-free recipes these days.
- I have found these to extra delicious when made with 1 cup oat flour and 1/2 cup almond flour, this also makes them gluten-free for anyone who needs that. However, you can also make them with all white whole wheat or spelt flour.
- As for the oil, I like to make them with coconut oil, just make sure it’s melted so that it mixes in well. Canola oil also works well.
Bring on the Blender!
As I mentioned above, I also experimented with putting the batter in the blender for this recipe. It works beautifully and makes the recipe even easier to make. The main difference is that the bananas get more pureed than mashed, so the muffins come out smoother.
Note, I have only tested this recipe using a high-speed blender. My go-to blender is a Vitamix which I use several times a week, mostly for smoothies to batters.
Make it a Complete Breakfast or Snack
You can easily make these banana bread muffins a more complete breakfast or snack by adding some additional protein.
Protein Add-on Suggestions:
Serve muffins with…
- Nut or seed butter.
- A glass of dairy, pea protein, or soy milk. (Note that many kinds of non-dairy milk are low in protein.)
- A frothy latte or cup of hot cocoa. (Perfect for fika and adding hygge!)
- A hard-boiled egg or two.
Additionally, you could add some fruit or veggies on the side. This will provide even more nutrients, fiber, and satisfaction.
A Great Post-Workout Snack
This combination of muffins + protein + fruit or veggie would also make a great post-workout snack. Perfect for active parents and sporty kids alike.
Banana Bread Mini Muffins
- mini muffin pan
- high-speed blender (optional)
- nonstick spray
- 3 large well-ripened bananas
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted or canola oil
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or regular sugar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup oat flour (make sure oat flour is certified gluten-free if needed--you could always make your own by grinding oats in a food processor; white-whole wheat or spelt flour work well if not gluten-free)
- ½ cup almond flour
- chocolate chips dairy-free if needed
- walnuts, pecans, and/or pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray mini muffin pans with nonstick spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until just blended.
- Scoop batter into mini muffin cups so that they are about ¾ full. Add chocolate chips and/or walnuts to the top of each muffin, pushing in slightly with spoon or finger tops.
Mixing Bowl Instructions
- Add bananas to the bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add egg through baking powder to the mashed bananas. Beat well with an electric mixer. Slowly add the flours to the banana mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Scoop batter into mini muffin cups so that they are about ¾ full. Add chocolate chips and/or nuts/seeds to the top of each muffin, pushing in slightly with spoon or finger tops.
- Bake muffins for 10-12 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!
Note this recipe first appeared on the blog in 2015. It was updated with new text and photos in 2021.