Dairy-Free Carrot Cake Waffles
These dairy-free carrot cake waffles are light and delicious. They are perfect for a special weekend breakfast or brunch. No waffle maker? No problem, the batter can also be used to make pancakes!
We eat a lot of pancakes and waffles at our house. The kids love them and I love both how nourishing they are and how easy it is to customize the ingredients to your needs and liking. I used my flying pancakes recipe as the base of this recipe, and then added carrots, spices, and also made it dairy-free.
These aromatic waffles will quickly fill your house with the smell of cinnamon and ginger. Made with wholesome ingredients such as sprouted spelt, flax meal, carrots, eggs, and plant milk, they will also fill you with nutrition. Here are just some of the nutrients these ingredients provide:
- Spelt flour provides fiber, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron.
- Flax meal provides extra fiber and plant-based omega-3 fatty acids.
- Carrots provide fiber, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Eggs provide protein, fat, vitamin D, vitamin B12, riboflavin, choline, and carotenoids.
- Nondairy milk usually provides calcium, vitamin D, vitamin E, and vitamin B12; check the nutrition label of the milk you are using.
Carrot-Cake Waffles for Later
You can freeze the leftovers in a resealable plastic bag and then reheat as needed. (We do this a lot, it makes eating homemade waffles on a school morning a cinch). But you could also just make a half batch, perfect for when you just need waffles for 2, and because you are dealing with a smaller quantity of all the ingredients and have fewer waffles to cook, it makes the whole process even simpler.
- 1½ cups unsweetened nondairy milk (e.g., coconut, almond, oat)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup spelt flour (or sub oat flour)
- ½ cup white whole wheat or white flour (or sub gluten-free all-purpose)
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 cup finely grated carrots (about 2-3 carrots)
- Nonstick spray (I used coconut oil)
- Topping suggestions:
- fresh berries, shredded unsweetened coconut, maple syrup, raspberry jam, whipped coconut cream, sliced bananas, powdered sugar, pecans, walnuts
- Combine plant milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Add milk mixture, eggs, coconut oil, and carrots. Stir to combine. Let sit for a few minutes while waffle maker preheats.
- Spray waffle iron. Ladle out waffles and cook according to manufacturer's directions, until golden and cooked through. (Depending on your waffle maker you may or may not need to spray with nonstick spray between before each new waffle).
- Serve immediately with suggested toppings or transfer to a wire rack until served.
Note: Photos and recipe updated April 2017.