This easy roasted split chicken breast will be a go-to on your weekly menu. It’s a family favorite with versatile uses.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I debated whether or not to post such a simple recipe. But the reality is this is most of the dinner recipes I make in any given week are simple. Sure I may get fancy and creative now and then, but not every day!
The great thing about this recipe is that you can adjust the seasonings based on what you have on hand or to go along with the rest of your meal. I love the simplicity and tastiness of paprika and garlic powder, but a Mediterranean blend of herbs is also delicious.
I’m a big fan of bone-in chicken. For one, it generally makes for a more flavorful and juicy chicken, especially when you leave the skin on when cooking. Two, it’s often slightly less expensive than boneless chicken. Three, the bones are great to use for homemade chicken stock!
Chicken: A Nutrient Powerhouse
Chicken is a nutrient powerhouse. In addition to being an excellent source of protein, it also provides zinc, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and magnesium. If you leave off the skin it’s also lower in saturated fat than red meat.
Protein is the most satiating of all nutrients and therefore an important component of snacks and meals. To make a balanced, satisfying lunch or dinner serve this chicken alongside plenty of veggies plus some grains or a starchy veggie like potatoes. My family loves this roasted chicken paired with mashed potatoes.
Ok, so I did call this recipe “Easy Roasted Split Chicken Breast.” And while it is easy, there are some essential tools that will help ensure it comes out just right. These include: an oven thermometer and a roasting pan or dish.
I use this oven thermometer for any meat that I make in the oven. While the recipe time will give you an estimated cooking time meat can vary in size and starting temperature. Likewise, the oven can vary in temperature–mine is known to run hot.
I have made this chicken using a ceramic or glass roasting dish, a roasting pan, and my trusty rimmed baking sheet. All work well in my opinion. Many experts also recommend a roasting rack to help circulate the air under the chicken but I find it more flavorful when resting in its juices.
Easy Roasted Split Chicken Breast
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika or try thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or try onion powder
- 2.5 – 3 pounds split chicken breast (bone-in, skin on chicken breast)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, large baking dish, or a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil for easier clean up (optional).
- Drizzle the olive oil on both sides of the chicken, using your hands or a brush to coat it thoroughly. Sprinkle with the salt, paprika, and garlic powder mixture (or other seasoning) on both sides. (You can also carefully spread the seasoning under the skin, especially if you aren't planning on eat the skin.)
- Bake for 40-55 minutes, until the oven thermometer registers 165 degrees F. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.