Healthier Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
These healthier oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are dairy-free and packed with fiber, making them easy to love and digest.
After School or in the Lunchbox
This oatmeal chocolate chip cookie has long been a favorite of my family and friends. Over the years it has evolved to become more nutrient-packed, though still just as yummy!
If this cookie was in a box it would be labeled:
- 100% whole grain (oats + sprouted Spelt or white whole wheat flour)
- Reduced sugar
Additionally, you could even make these cookies without refined sugar by using sucanat or coconut sugar instead of brown sugar and granulated sugar. But just keep in mind that these are still sugars and processed as sugars by the body.
Make Them Nut-Free
Please note, these cookies do have nuts in them, so if you are allergic or have restrictions at school, try making them with extra chocolate chips (whoever said no to that?) and some sunflower seeds instead. Alternatively, you could just leave them out and not add anything. They will still be great!
More Delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
If you are looking for a more indulgent oatmeal chocolate chip cookie, that is also super-easy (like just throw all the ingredients into a food processor and combine), then give these a try: Oat-Chocolate Cookies. Made with butter and sugar, they are perfect for entertaining, dessert, or to munch on with your afternoon coffee.
Or, if you are looking for an even healthier cookie–that can really pass for an energy bar–then give these Trailmix Cookies a try. Complete with dried fruit, studded with sea salt, and easy to make vegan, my kids have grown to love them as much as I do!
- 1 cup sprouted spelt or white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (or avocado or grapeseed oil)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar or try maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oats, and pecans with a whisk.
- In a large bowl or standing mixer, beat oil and both sugars together for 30 seconds. Add egg and beat until smooth. Then mix in the applesauce and vanilla extract.
- Turn mixer to lowest setting and slowly add the flour-oatmeal mixture. Blend just to combine and then add the chocolate chips.
- Use two spoons to drop tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Cool on a cookie rack.
Leave a Reply