I’m excited to share my holiday gift guide for self-care. Now more than ever it’s time to slow down and take care of ourselves. Doing so will help cultivate inner joy and gratitude, making us better able to spread joy and compassion to the world around us.
Self-care for Inner Joy
Cultivating inner joy starts with making time for daily acts of self-compassion, kindness, and gratitude. Not only do these acts bring you joy, but they also help bring others joy. Because once you care for yourself with kindness you will be ready to care for and treat others with the same kindness.
Think of it this way: Self care promotes slowing down, which promotes more mindfulness, which promotes more gratitude, which promotes more joy.
Whether it’s heading outside for a walk in nature, writing in your journal, getting on your yoga mat, fixing up a nourishing breakfast, savoring a cup of coffee, or learning about how to let get of diet culture, these are all acts of self-care.
Disclosure: Some of the below links may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I only share affiliate links for products I use and trust.
Holiday Gift Guide for Self-Care
So make self-care a priority for those you love and yourself. Here to inspire you are 20 of my favorite self-care treats–from my favorite skincare products to my daily meditation app. (Note that price ranges are estimates and the actual cost may vary depending on the specific product, taxes, and shipping rates).
Less than $20
- Panda planner. This has been my go-to planner for a few years. Writing my daily plan is part of my morning routine. I love that it prompts you to write down 3 things you are grateful for and 3 things that you are excited about every day. While you are shopping for the planner, why not pick up some of my go-to colorful pens too!
- Dark chocolate. Pure bliss in your mouth and belly. Plus antioxidants. Now that’s self-kindness! Seek out fairly traded chocolate or buy from your favorite local supplier. (My friend Alan makes a delicious dark chocolate that is also extra high in flavonoids: Flavabars).
- Bath Salts. Treat your friends to a luxurious soak in fragrant bath salts. While you are at it, pick one up for yourself too. I love this sore muscle soak with eucalyptus, clove, and peppermint.
- My breakfast e-book: “20 Joyful Breakfast Recipes.” Sure to add joy to the mornings!
- Ant-diet books (Because one of the best ways to show yourself love is to give up the dieting cycle for good!) On my must-have list: The most recent edition of “Intuitive Eating” by Elyse Resch and Evelyn Tribole and “Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating” by Christy Harrison.
- Plants. I can’t even tell you how much joy filling my home with plants brings me. That said, I realize they are not for everyone. But if your main reason for holding back is that you are worried you won’t care for them properly, relax. In my opinion, you can learn to develop a green thumb, just practice a growth mindset, don’t overwater, and find that sunny side of your house! This time of year there is also nothing like giving or receiving an Amaryllis or Paperwhites.
- Embroidery kit. My sister gave me this adorable embroidery kit that she purchased at a super fun little store in Maine, Swallowfield. She pointed out that embroidery is a great way to keep your hands busy with something other than the screen! I love it.
- Beautycounter products. I have been a fan of Beautycounter for over 5 years now and became a consultant this past year. I love that their products are made from safer ingredients and actually work! A few of my top Beautycounter gift picks for under $40 include lip gloss, lip conditioner, and hydrating body lotion.
- Fika t-shirts and tanks. I created these designs to spark joy and help spread the love of this wonderful tradition! What’s more, 50% of profits go to No Kid Hungry.
- Reusable water bottle. Hydration and environmental responsibility in one. Bonus if you can buy it locally.
- Cozy hat and/or mittens. Get motivated to go outside but stay warm! Check out your local stores for what they have in stock. To avoid in-person shopping just give them a call or check out their website or Facebook page.
- Comfy lounge pants. These Vuori joggers are my favorite. (I got my husband a pair and he loves them too!)
- Headspace membership. I try to start my mornings with a meditation and headspace is my go-to guide. Headspace offers a large library of meditations to choose from, including courses on everything from better sleep to more mindful living. You can try this app for free for a week before you buy and they sometimes have discounts on yearly memberships.
- Yoga class pack or membership. I recommend supporting your local yoga studio whenever possible but I also love virtual Yoga with Adriene. Her videos are available for free on YouTube but I love her membership app Find What Feels Good (FWFG).
- Audible membership. I love to listen to podcasts, but sometimes there is nothing like escaping into a good book. I use audiobooks to motivate me to do chores that I don’t really want to do, like folding laundry or organizing the basement. Suddenly I’m looking for more laundry to fold!
More than $90
- New yoga mat. This eco-conscious one by Manduka is my favorite. Donate your old one to an animal shelter or save it as a back up for when the kids join in on your yoga session.
- Nespresso machine. My husband got me this a few years ago for our anniversary. It is the best. Great coffee guaranteed every time. Plus, the small, European-sized servings means you can enjoy more frequent cups of coffee and at the same time be less likely to drink too much at once.
- Milk frother. This makes turns your Nespresso into gourmet coffee shop drinks. It’s also great for chai tea and caffeine-free vanilla steamers (steamed milk + vanilla + honey). (Note the above-listed Nespresso machine comes with a frother!)
- Gift card to a local salon. Because there is nothing like a fresh haircut and/or color.
- Gift card to a local restaurant. Let’s support our local restaurants and our need for a break from the cooking and cleaning! But be safe and stick to take-out or outdoor dining! (Obviously, this would be great in any amount, I was just thinking if there was ever a year to maximize your gift card, this is it. #SupportLocal)
Happy shopping, giving, and self-caring! Wishing you and your family health, love, and joy this holiday season.