Kale, Avocado & Raspberry Salad
Do you like kale salad? If not, this may be the salad to change that. Topped with goodies such as raspberries, avocado, and goat cheese, and sweetened with a touch of honey, this salad is hard to resist.
I was a kale skeptic for a long time. Kale was not part of my Scandinavian cuisine growing up, but rather something I learned to use as garnish and decoration while working in a Marriott hotel kitchen one summer. (True!) It wasn’t until a few years ago that I started incorporating it into my regular cooking–realizing that it worked in everything from soups, to stir-fry’s, to salads.
While I usually cook my kale before eating it, sometimes there is nothing like a good, raw kale salad. (I will sometimes also add a handful to my smoothies). If you are a kale salad maker, you probably know that one of the ways to make a good kale salad is to massage the leaves for a bit with some of your dressing. This helps break down the tough fibers and strong taste of the kale, making it easier to eat.
I love this vinaigrette because it’s so simple to make and adds a honeyed, lemony taste to every bite. It also pairs really well with the sweet raspberries, creamy avocado, and tangy goat cheese. I added some pumpkin seeds for a bit of crunch and additional flavor, roasted sunflower seeds also work well.
You can make this salad with any type of kale. I tried it with lacinato and green curly leaf and preferred it with the curly leaf. This salad holds up well in the refrigerator overnight–although you may want to hold off on the avocado until closer to serving time–and is perfect for bringing to a potluck, cookout, or serving at your next brunch. Add some grilled chicken or cooked quinoa and consider it a meal!
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 6 cups packed washed, destemmed, and chopped kale
- 1 small container organic raspberries (about 1 cup), washed
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 /4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- ¼ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and honey.
- Add the washed and chopped kale to a large bowl pour over the dressing. Massage for about 2 minutes or until it starts to wilt a little.
- Top with the rest of the ingredients, toss gently, and serve. Enjoy!