Mini Morning Glory Muffins
These mini morning glory muffins are packed with fruit, veggies, fiber, and healthy fat. Make them mini or make them full-sized–either way they are sure to be a hit with the whole family!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are looking for a muffin that is loaded with both nutrition and delectable flavor, then this is it. Approved by both health-conscious adults and picky eaters, in my view, it’s the perfect little muffin, and therefore, a perfect reason to make muffins.
These mini morning glory muffins are dairy-free, whole grain, and lightly sweetened with carrots, apples, and a little bit of brown sugar. Honestly, it’s hard to go wrong with this recipe. I have made many batches over the years, with little changes here and there, and they always turn out moist and delicious. The recipe is adapted from a small-batch version in the wonderful cookbook Small Batch Baking.
Grated Carrots and Apples
Of course, you could probably use a food processor to do the grating, but you know how sometimes you don’t even want to get out another kitchen gadget because you will ultimately have to clean it as well? Basically, sometimes less is more. In addition, by using a hand grater you can do a fine shred for kids (or adults) who may otherwise frown at the fact that there are pieces of carrots in their muffins. (Grate the carrot finely and they won’t even think about it.)
- These muffins will keep for a few days in an air-tight container or bag at room temperature. However, I’m a fan of freezing half to save for later. That way you can reheat them when you want to enjoy with your coffee or family.
- You can make them with or without raisins; my 7-year old prefers them without (which is why the above photos show no traces of raisins).
- These muffins are very adaptable. I made them using half parsnips instead of carrots–still just as delicious! I also subbed a pear in for some of the apple. That worked too! I bet grated zucchini or pumpkin puree could also be swapped in.
Mini Morning Glory Muffins
- nonstick spray
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or try spelt flour; if gf try half oat flour and half almond flour or gf all-purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grapeseed, avocado, or canola oil turns out ok with 1/2 cup too
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins optional
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F and spray mini muffin (or regular sized muffin) pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Mix in the apple. Add apple mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the carrots, raisins, and coconut. Spoon into muffin cups, filling to just below the top of each cup.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes for mini muffins or 22-26 minutes for regular-sized muffins, until the top is settled and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then transfer to a cookie rack. Enjoy!
Note this post was originally published in 2015 and updated with new photos and text in 2020.