This vegan chickpea salad sandwich is a tasty, high-fiber way to switch up your usual lunchbox sandwich. Serve it on whole-grain bread, a bagel, or as a wrap!
Lunches. Lunches. Whether it’s for you or your child, there is no doubt that it can be hard to come up with new ideas.
Turkey or ham sandwiches, chicken soup, and pasta bolognese are some of my kids favorites. Personally, I love to cook up breakfast for lunch if I’m home, but for those days when I need to pack lunch, it’s usually a hearty salad of some sort, like this lunch salad in a jar, or a sandwich.
I discovered the chickpea sandwich at a local cafe a couple of years ago. Served in a wrap bread and filled with crunchy cashews, it was surprisingly satisfying. So it was about time that I created my own version to share with you all.
This vegan chickpea salad sandwich is a fun way to mix up your usual routine. Plus, there is a good chance you have most of the ingredients on hand already, saving you a mid-week trip to the store.
Whether you are a vegan, a plant-forward omnivore, or just trying to add more plant-based meals to your week, this recipe fits the bill. I recommend adding your own touch, whether that be your favorite spices, herbs, or more veggies.
The easiest way to eat this sandwich is in a wrap, but as you can see from the pictures I also decided to take on the challenge of eating it on whole-grain bread that I even pressed in the panini maker and a toasted bagel. You could certainly also just serve the chickpea salad over a bed of greens with bread or perhaps some sweet potatoes on the side.
Vegan Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 T red onion, chopped
- 2 T fresh dill, chopped or parsley
- 1 t apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 3 T vegan mayo or mashed avocado
- 2 t Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, chopped
- whole-grain bread or any other delicious bread
- lettuce or baby greens
- sliced tomato
- In a medium bowl, mix together chickpeas through cashews. Mash some of the chickpeas with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Divide onto bread of choice and top with lettuce and tomato if desired. Or, serve over a salad with bread on the side! Enjoy.