This Crunchy Baked Cod is a delicious way to serve fish. Pair with boiled or mashed potatoes and a fresh, green salad for a satisfying and nourishing dinner.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crunchy Baked Cod
Today I bring you a classic recipe to add to your meal plan: crunchy baked cod. It’s packed with flavor thanks to a combination of garlic, butter, parsley, Pecorino cheese, and homemade bread crumbs.
I adapted this recipe many years ago from one of my Swedish cookbooks, “Vår Kok Bok.” I’ve made it many times and it’s always a hit. Next on my list is to make it with a gluten-free topping. Perhaps nuts or another grain? Let me know if you have any suggestions!
It’s been a busy spring around here and so I’m thankful for simple recipes like this Crunchy Baked Cod that not only provide nourishment for my family but also taste delicious!
What have I been up to? Here are just a few things…
I’m just wrapping up my first semester of teaching nutrition at a local college. Overall, I would say it has gone quite well. I’m really proud to have conquered my fear of public speaking. Of course, I still have so much to learn about teaching!
Diving Deeper into Yoga
And at the same time that I wrap up teaching nutrition, I wrap up my 200-hour yoga teacher training. Yes, the grand finale is this weekend! Needless to say, it’s been busy and that’s why I’ve been a little MIA. But not to worry, I have a lot of great recipes and blog articles coming your way. So stay tuned!
Slow Down and Breathe
In the meantime, here is a reminder for us all: slow down and breathe. Honestly, if there’s one important concept I’ve learned from yoga and mindfulness training, it’s that. Time goes fast. Slow down. Reconnect with your breath. Notice. Be present. Savor. Breathe.
(Actually, I’ve learned many important concepts, but not to worry, I won’t throw them all at you today!)
Having a nourishing, simple dinner planed, like this crunchy baked cod, allows for more calm in your day. Click To Tweet
Alright, time to get cooking. Also, if you like this recipe, here are some others to try:
- Sheet Pan Cod and Veggie Dinner
- Panko Crusted Cod Nuggets
- Oven-Baked Haddock with Pesto
- Kid-Approved Cod Cakes
Crunchy Baked Cod
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (or use about ¾ cup of panko bread crumbs)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds cod filet or try haddock
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425° Fahrenheit.
- Place bread in food processor and pulse until it becomes the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- Spread oil onto a 9x13 (or similar sized) baking dish. Add cod. Sprinkle cod with salt and then drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or until fragrant. Mix in the fresh breadcrumbs, the parsley, and the grated cheese.
- Remove fish from oven and spread the breadcrumb mixture onto the cod. Return to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Garnish with sliced grape tomatoes (or these can be cooked with the cod if you prefer) and more fresh parsley.
Text updated January 2021.