Slow Cooker Chicken-Chickpea-Mango Curry
Slow Cooker Chicken-Chickpea-Mango Curry. Comforting. Nourishing. Simple. It’s also gluten and dairy free.
Hello Spring! We finally have more daylight here, but the snow is still scattered across the ground and it’s definitely not warm yet. (Unless you continue to wear your long down coat, leg warmers, and winter hat! Ha!)
It’s the time of year when we start craving fresh, raw produce and grill nights, but also still sometimes want warm, comforting dishes.
This slow cooker chicken-chickpea-mango curry is perfect for spring, fall, and winter. Packed with wholesome ingredients such as chicken, chickpeas, ginger, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, and mangoes, it’s guaranteed to nourish both your body and soul.This slow cooker chicken-chickpea-mango curry is sure to nourish the body and soul! Click To Tweet
Hälsa Kids & Vegetarians
It’s also super versatile, so if you want to make it all vegetarian you can skip the chicken and even add lentils or quinoa. If you want to make it more kid-friendly, you can take out anything they are not fond of and instead add their favorite veggie(s). But the sweet mango definitely makes this more kid-friendly.
The Evolution of a Recipe
Of course, I can’t take credit for this recipe. It’s adapted from a recipe for “Chicken-Mango Curry” by Registered Dietitian Matt Kadey, author of the Muffin Tin Chef. I came across the recipe a few years ago in the February 2014 issue of FamilyFun magazine. I made it as published the first time–and wrote “good!” in big letters on the recipe. So I ripped it out and added it to my trusty recipe binder.
Since that first time, I have made several versions. For the version I’m presenting here, I reduced the chicken a bit and added chickpeas, my attempt to make it more plant-based but still keep the familiar chicken taste. I also love to add some leafy-greens towards the end of cooking…but you can leave them on the side if you think it will make your kids more likely to eat it.
Make it Your Own
Give it a try! Add your own touch and let me know how it is. Cheers!
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 to 2-inch section of fresh ginger, peeled and minced or 1 teaspoon dry ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thighs) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen mango
- (2 cups packed baby spinach or chopped kale)
- Combine coconut milk through the cayenne pepper in a slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the chicken, followed by the onions, sweet potato, bell pepper, and chickpeas.
- Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 9-10 hours. Add the mango in during the last 20 minutes of cooking. If desired, also add baby spinach or chopped kale.
Chopped fresh cilantro
Unsalted peanuts or cashews
Brown or white rice