This simple almond snack cake is perfect for serving with breakfast, as a mid-morning snack, or after school. Dairy-free and gluten-free.Jump to Recipe
Disclosure: Some of the links below are Amazon affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ever since I came across a recipe for a “snacking cake” a few years ago, I’ve wanted to have a “snack” cake on my blog too. After all, who doesn’t love to have cake for a snack?
So without further adieu, I present the Simple Almond Snack Cake. (One of the best parts of having your own blog is the freedom to name your creations.)
This cake is made with almond flour instead of traditional flour. Almond flour is quite different from traditional flour in that it’s made from a nut instead of a grain. This makes it a bit denser, but the higher fat content of almond flour also makes for a more moist, tender cake. In fact, I didn’t need to add oil or butter to this recipe.
The protein from the almonds, combined with the protein in the eggs, also helps make for a satisfying cake. The perfect snack cake, really.
Almond flour is also gluten-free, making this cake suitable for those with gluten intolerance. If you are looking for other recipes made with almond flour here are a few of my favorites:
The Joy of Fika
This cake is delicious as part of fika, the Swedish tradition of taking a break to enjoy a little something to drink and eat, often with others.
What makes the Swedish tradition of fika different from any old snack or coffee break? It’s partly the mindfulness aspect, the reminder to slow down and make time for nourishment of the body and soul even on the busiest of days.
Over the years my now teenage boys have come to love fika time. It’s an experience that brings us all joy. Rather than me just feeding them a snack (which also happens at times), with fika, we all sit down together. You can read more about fika here.
Ready to get baking? As always, review the ingredients to make sure you have what you need first. Substituting all-purpose flour won’t work in this recipe because of the different compositions of grain versus nut flour. If you have any questions just leave a comment or message me on Instagram.
I will also mention is that I tested this recipe using a 9-inch springform pan similar to this one. You could also use a regular cake pan, but it will not be as easy to get it out. One trick to always getting cakes out easily is to line the pan with parchment paper and then grease it.
Simple Almond Snack Cake
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter if not dairy-free
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or try ground cardamom
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sliced almonds optional
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional; delicious without too!
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a nonstick 9-inch springform cake pan with coconut oil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- In a large bowl, use an electric whisk to beat the eggs until frothy, about a minute. Add in the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat for another 30 seconds or so.
- In another bowl, whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently mix into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Spread the cake mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds (and sugar if desired).
- Bake for 23-26 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh berries and anything else that sounds good to you!