Curried Chicken Salad with Skyr Yogurt
This curried chicken salad with skyr yogurt will add a dose of health and spice to your lunch. Equally suited for work, school, or a picnic on the beach, give this mayo-free chicken salad a try.
Lunches. I can get just as stumped as everyone else about what to make. Why is that?
But sometimes all it takes is a few extra minutes in planning and prepping. You may wonder why I have lunch on my mind when it’s the last week of school. Well, that’s because we all still have to eat! And hello beach picnics! Am I right?Liven up your lunch with this curried chicken salad. Also perfect for beach outings! Click To Tweet
Chicken Salad Variations
My kids actually aren’t into traditional chicken salad yet. But they love sliced rotisserie chicken on toasted bread with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and lettuce. That’s what I made this morning for their lunches. It’s like a junior chicken salad–maybe I will try chopping the chicken and mixing in some chives or parsley next, herbs I know they love.
And while my husband and I love a good chicken salad, neither of us is big on mayo. Fortunately, plain Skyr yogurt is a perfect substitute. And you get a little dose of probiotics with your lunch too. If I’m lucky enough to have a ripe avocado on hand I also love to use that as a base for chicken salad–but in this case, it’s best eaten right away so the avocado doesn’t turn brown.
Curried Chicken Salad
I love curried chicken salad with Skyr yogurt because it really brings the flavor up a notch. Plus, we now know that there are many benefits of turmeric, the spice that makes curry yellow. So for good measure, I added a little extra (a half teaspoon) of this anti-inflammatory spice to the curry powder.
If you love turmeric, check out some of my other turmeric-based recipes:
- Iced Ginger Turmeric Smoothie
- Turmeric Roasted Chickpea and Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Cashew Cream
Use avocado, mayo, or cashew cream instead.
Try this with chickpeas!
So go ahead, pick up a rotisserie chicken on your next shopping trip. (Or throw some extra chicken on the grill at dinner.) Then prep this salad to serve on bakery-fresh whole wheat bread, lettuce wraps, or over a salad. Pack with your favorite crunchy sides, be it whole-grain tortilla chips or roasted chickpeas, icy cold beverages, and fresh fruit. Oh and some chocolate chip cookies or cocoa-coconut bliss balls for dessert. Summer picnic done.
- 1 cup plain full-fat or 2% Skyr or Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2½ cups diced cooked chicken breast (I like to simplify and use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup apple, diced (about 1 apple) (or use grapes)
- ½ cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted in skillet
- ¼ cup chopped parsley or cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Mix together yogurt, lemon juice, curry powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (chicken through chives) to a bowl. Stir in the yogurt sauce and mix until combined.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Bakery fresh whole wheat bread