Morning Oatmeal Elevated takes classic oatmeal from ordinary to extraordinary. With just a few extra additions, such as fresh ginger and coconut cream, you can have tasty oatmeal that will leave you longing for tomorrow’s breakfast!
Hot oatmeal is a year-round morning staple at our house. (Except for those really hot, humid summer mornings when cold overnight oats are in order!) Aside from the basic cooking instructions on the box or bag, I usually don’t follow a recipe and vary the toppings depending on what I have on hand.If you are looking to take your morning oatmeal up a notch, this recipe is for you! Click To Tweet
I started experimenting with mixing in additional goodies such as cardamom, vanilla, cinnamon, freshly grated ginger, and plant-based milk to the oatmeal as it cooked. The results were too good not to share!
Adding the fresh ginger really gives it that extra something. Ginger is a natural anti-inflammatory–something most of us could all use more of. I use it in everything from smoothies to ginger tea to stir-fries.
Oats are a great source of fiber. Eating a bowl of oatmeal in the morning will help fill you up and give you long-lasting energy. Including oats in your daily diet may also help:
- Lower LDL cholesterol
- Stabilize blood sugar
- Prevent constipation
While oatmeal has about 4 grams of fiber per 1 cup serving, topping your bowl with fresh berries will further boost the fiber content.
Benefits of Making Your Own Oatmeal
Sure, you could pick up an instant oatmeal packet, add some hot water and call it breakfast. But homemade oatmeal is seriously so much tastier and not to mention healthier. Did you know that some instant oatmeal packets contain up to 8 teaspoons of added sugar per serving? In this recipe, I drizzle just 2 teaspoons of maple syrup on top of each serving.
My kids tend to prefer their oatmeal with just brown sugar and berries and milk on the side. But when I made this they loved it! Mixing up the breakfast routine is key. And having your kids see you make a beautiful oatmeal creation will get them excited to try it too.
Morning Oatmeal Elevated
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla plant milk (e.g., almond, coconut, or hemp) (or dairy milk if preferred)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (certified gluten-free if needed)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (peel before grating)
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream*
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a small saucepan, bring water and milk to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add the oats and salt.
- Simmer for a few minutes and then add the cinnamon and ginger. Cook another few minutes until oatmeal is ready.
- Portion oatmeal into 2 bowls and then add top each with fresh berries, a dollop of coconut cream, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Enjoy!
- strawberries or raspberries
- dried fruit
- brown sugar
- shredded coconut
- toasted walnuts, hazelnuts, or pecans
- pumpkin seeds
- peanut or almond butter
- Skyr or Greek yogurt